The George Jeffrey Children's Centre is a non-profit charitable organization with strong community ties dating back to 1948 when the Kiwanis Club and the Lakehead Cerebral Palsy Parents' Council worked together to establish the J.B. Larway School. From this early beginning serving preschool children with disabilities, the Centre has grown to serve all of Northwestern Ontario with a variety of services and innovative and specialized programming. In 1961, through the efforts of the Kiwanis Club, the Centre was incorporated as the Thunder Bay Crippled Children Centre. As the Centre grew, new facilities were built and the Northwestern Ontario Crippled Children's Centre officially opened in June 1969. An 18-bed residence, now closed, was added in 1978 to provide treatment and care for children with disabilities from surrounding communities. Our Centre was renamed the George Jeffrey Children's Treatment Centre in 1983 in honour of Mr. George Jeffrey, a former Chairman of our Board and our Director for many years, for his dedication to children with disabilities.
Today, the Centre continues to evolve with the changing of our name to George Jeffrey Children's Centre, a new Mission Statement and logo to better reflect our mandate to serve children of all ages and abilities in our Region.